Saturday, January 19, 2008

Wimpy Warrior Woman, not up to Rajput standards

So many weeks after leaving home, I have found the yoga teacher I want to study with.

His place is outside, right off Pushkar Lake, and he's a devotee of Swami Satyananda, so I haven't strayed that far from the Rikhia Peeth Ashram path. How funny.

I love this fellow, he looks like Santa Claus except completely decked out in orange, and he's slightly cross-eyed so I wasn't always certain if he was speaking to me and advising me to adjust my locust pose or the person next to me.

For 2 days in a row, there I was, seeing my breath as we began at 8 a.m. I was wishing I had worn my gloves and hat as it was hard to concentrate on my breathing when all I could think was "cold, cold, cold, pain, pain, pain, ow, ow, ow, why, why, why?"

Today, my perma chest cough kept me up most of the night so I decided not to go, but I don't want to make a habit of sleeping in. As this teacher says "Many people is sleeping. Not practising Yoga, not having healthy wealthy and wise life. Yes please, practice and being not lazy and crazy. And not smoking, is injurious to health. Yes please practice everyday"

He made the comment about not smoking several times, usually after a student sounded like they were hacking up a lung. I was totally annoyed to be one of those students - it really throws off your balance in Eagle pose when you're gasping for breath.

When I got up this morning, turned off the alarm and decided to skip going, I thought, "well, I would never have lasted as a Rajput warrior."

From the guidebook: Rajputs were a warrior class who claim to originate from the sun, moon and fire. They have controlled this part of Inida for 1000 years. Their bravery and honour was unparalled, they would fight against all odds and when no hope was left, chivalry demanded jauhar, ritual mass suicide by immolation.

I say "Rah! Rah! Rajasthan!"

Clearly, they would not be impressed by my "I have this tickle in my throat that won't go away. Perhaps I'll skip doing sun salutations and asanas today as it's chilly outside."

Yesterday's hilltop temple (Savitri Temple) I have confirmed was an 800 metre climb. So I thought about that too, when I skipped the class. "Hey, I climbed up that hill."

I know, I still wouldn't hire me to defend a village in Rajasthan. Somebody has to stay and guard the fort.

I know, that job also wouldn't go to me.

I have a feeling that in my past lives, especially during the Hunter/Gatherer Age, I was the librarian.

4 comments:

Sylvia said...

Get that cough looked after warrior woman.
John & Sylvia

Ayelet said...

Just so you know, that hike nearly killed me too. Do you sit at the ghats on sunset? I used to do it every day. It's amazing, there's music everywhere. It was a ritual of mine. It's funny to imagine you in Pushkar, where I spent so much time. Sigh. I miss Pushkar and I miss you. wish I was there with you! Sounds like you're having a wonderful time! Love you much.

enzojeanb said...

Hey Eufeji

Those warrior guys... rajputs ?? Do they have a good medical ?? Thinking of switching careers...

Glad you found a thecher you like... just donèt try to make eye contact...

all the best

Jean

Eufemia said...

Ha ha ha! good point Jean!

& thank you Ayelet, I feel better, since several people passed me on the climb up. I only manmaged to pass the seniors.