Sunday, January 27, 2008

Train Travel Tips from Rich

You'll all be happy to know, Rich arrived safe and mostly sound in Kolkata, his train only 3.5 hours late.

Something I found a bit odd was that, back when Rich was booking his ticket, he went to several Travel Agents who couldn't find Kolkata on a map. They circled their fingers around in the air, circling most of the subcontinent, and Rich would point it out and say, "it's right there."

Nevermind. I'm guessing they aced their Guide a Camel Safari Exams but scored low on Geography.

I'll add the pointers from Rich's email here:

Tips for good train ride
1. don't eat too much before trip but eat (train food/rice is very good 20Rs)
2. get upper bunk
3. take tylenol every 4-7hrs
4. have lots of vicks on hand
5. dress warm
6. good luck


Okay, so he ate on the train, which we were warned about at the start of our journey. He's sturdier than me, so I think I'll pass. (I can go 33 hours without eating. I think.) He also advises me not to stay in Kolkata for more than one night (no problem, wasn't fancying the idea in any way) And here's my favourite:
The bus ride to Jodhpur was alright, lots of locals on and off- i imagine u would be in constant conversation.....recommend train from Ajmeer.

In "constant conversation"? Ah ha, sure. Here he has clearly forgotten my withering glare, my unapproachable stance every time he left me alone for 30 seconds and I heard "Hellooooo, Madam. Japan?"

You would not believe the number of times I heard that.

Enough that Rich, in parting said, (and I'm only paraphrasing the last part because I can't honestly remember how he put it, but this is the gist of it) "If I read about something happening to a 40 year old Japanese woman in Pushkar, I'll know something's gone terribly wrong with you."

Sigh. Because there was a very unpleasant article in the Times of India about something happening to a foreign women in Pushkar, 2 days before Rich left. Rich mentioned it. Swamiji mentioned it. Fellow travellers mentioned it. Even my Hotel manager mentioned it.

But don't anybody worry. I appear to have been adopted into a large Indian family, most of the Hotel staff, according to the manager.

Yesterday, after drinking two capfuls of cough syrup and feeling mightily tired, I disappeared into my room at noon and slept for 4 hours, waking up from many strange dreams. I got up and forced myself to go out at 5 to eat dinner.

Babu & Rakesh both commented on it today, with Babu saying "something was wrong with you" and Rakesh adding, "you were missing your family, I think."

I replied, "I don't know, I had a fever when I woke up." I was sweating, which was strange since it was chilly outside (which means it's chilly inside). I also added, "I'm used to being by myself."

But of course, the difference is, one feels like one has more of a choice in a familiar environment, like back home, you can turn off the phone, go for a walk by yourself and know that no one is going to accost you or follow you for cash. Well, mostly. I do live on the Drive, but you know what I mean.

"You don't like speaking with others, you keep to yourself and your books," Babu noted.

I didn't want to say, "No, well, it's hard to know who's safe to talk to, who isn't going to invite me to their home under supreme secrecy, then take back the offer because I'm not about to help her husband's watery armpit problem."

So I said "I'm shy."

It's not far from the truth.

Shy, lonely, what difference does it make?

I think I'll see if I can get home through this wedding procession coming down the road (wish me luck) and call it a day.

No comments: