Monday, January 14, 2008

Baby Taj

Today I took a cycle rickshaw to a place referred to as the Baby Taj.

The professor on the train said skip it, but the hotel guys said it's a must. So while Rich recuperated on his dose of antibiotics, I wandered around trying t figure out what I could do. I haven't seen a single sign advertising Yoga here, so I decided maybe I should see a site.

The driver Amar told me autorickshaws we're too loud, and so I think he was ready to give me the full on tour of Agra but I asked about the Baby Taj, and we set off.

Baby Taj is a Mughal tomb that preceeds the Taj Mahal, it's built entirely of white marble and it's real name is Itimad-ud-Daulah. (Does anyone else think it's odd to refer to the Taj Mahal as India's enduring symbol of love when it's a tomb? just wondering)

So, when Amar asked, straight off the bat, if I was married, I said yes. (See, Ayelet, I'm catching on) We turned down a few rural looking roads and I thought "Gosh, I'm an idjit. Rich desn't even know where I am." Amar also asked if I had children, why not, how many times I had been married.

That last question had me nearly falling out of the rickshaw, thinking, how does this guy know? Are rickshaw driver's doubling as astrologers here? I wouldn't be surprised but still, can they just calm down about this question? Until I realised he meant how long have I been married. I answered "one year" and he seemed incredibly stunned by this news.

"Are you married Amar?"

"No Madam"

"Why not? What's the problem? You're mother must be very upset."

"I have a friend who married one year, has one child."

"I'm not surprised."

Anyways, I was mildly relieved when he turned onto a road with more traffic, mildly because he turned on to a highway. I realised quickly that I was the only moron in a cycle rickshaw. There were trucks, motorcycles, jeeps, big diesel carrying trucks. No cows, because they're smarted than that.

Then we passed another moron in a cycle rickshaw, a japanese tourist, and I felt marginally better.

We overtook the guys pushing fruitcarts on the highway.

And I made it back in one piece, frazzled but one piece. Peace!

2 comments:

Nicky Dunbar said...

Death seals the deal. The only way love can possibly endure is if someone has the good sense to die. Otherwise, just as too parallel lines will eventually cross if they're allowed to continue in space indefinitely, two people will eventually separate if something else (death, in case I've lost you) doesn't intervene. I think it's romantic.

Hey, I think these blogs are invading my consciousness. Last night I had a dream that I could put my left foot behind my neck (it was strictly yogic) and it was one of those dreams that for the majority of the next day I thought was real. I kept thinking, when did I do that? Or, I must try that again some time. And then I would remember, dream, right, dream.

Ayelet said...

My dear friend Maya...
I hope Rich is feeling better! When you guys make it to Pushkar look for Rajguru Fuesthouse. It's off the main road and is run by a beautiful man named Vijay (or at least used to. It has been 10 years!!!) His brother Pavan has a shop on the main road. He also has a good friend named OM who's an artist. They're all really cool. If my named doesn't ring a bell to Vijay mention the night we all went to the dedsert and met Baba Nepali who then made me a beautiful bamboo bong like his. Also remind him my then boyfriend, Rustam who was a Canadian Indian and that I was there 3 or 4 times 10 years ago. Then tell him I love him and miss him... I also love you and miss you!
Ayelet