Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Buddhists at the gate is the new battlecry

As it said at the entrance to the temple, May Peace Prevail on Earth.

Today, we arrived in Varanasi, after another ridicolous dash to catch the train at 5 a.m. because we were on the wrong platform (sent there by the directions of the Chief Station Master) The train is totally crazy here. In Canada, one can romanticise train travel- here, not so much.

Then you should see our hotel. Okay, it's only $3 each a night but I think the correct term would be 'gross'. So we found another one that's available in 2 days for $3.50, bright, sunney rooms, back yard and a view of the Ganges river from the rooftop where I'll be able to practice my yoga, if I get the nerve, in view of the monkeys and kids.

When we arrived, a tiny toddler walking by, a boy, punched me in the leg. Being that I'm still sick, and nearly froze on the train, it seemed a bad omen. I'm less stressed now.

I took one yoga class, right next to the Mahabodhi Temple, how cool was that? Very cool, except I was the only one in class, and groups of maroon robed tibetan monks stopped to watch. It was an open room, right near the temple, and when the young man said "don't do if you can't" - right before he did a head stand (he did 3 in total) I was like, no problem. The staff, a young boy who gave me chai and the older Korean gentleman I thought was the teacher, did the class with me. They could stand on the heads no problem. But what's life without the opportunity to improve? And I thought I did fairly fine, even the monk from Chennai told me I kept up very well for "someone in your age" (38 is ancient I guess) but the next day, my ribs, my legs and every part of me was aching...

on to the adventure,
Shanti, Shanti, Shanti
love,
Eufemia

1 comment:

Ayelet said...

I laughed and laughed, then said: I should have gone with her!
Love you, please keep on posting, now that I know where to find it...