Saturday, January 12, 2008

Stop Making Sense

Ah, okay, I really really need a nap but I just realised the title of the last blog didn't get explained at all.

If you're in Varanasi, you must eat at teh Open Hand cafe, where Mark will serve you. Mark, you ask, what kind of name is Mark?

His name is Rajeesh, but since that town is packed with guys called Rajeesh, Rakeesh, Rajh, and every variation of the name you can think of, he chose to go by Mark so when peopel say "I'm Raj's friend" or "Raj's little brother, do youknow him?" well, they don't, but Mark they know. (This was a great explanation as far as I was concerned, names are important here)

Wandana, my candle-selling mehndi designer, renamed me Maya instead of Mia, because Mia apparently is not a fortunate name. Not to sure why, something she really couldn't explain but sounded like "Forget that, it's a Muslim name and no way, tell everyone to call you Maya." so I have and get this, now everyone responds with "You have a Hindi name!?"

That's right. I speak a few words, count to 5 and now, due to my re-christening, am virtually one of the family. The one you want to sell everything too or at least borrow a bunch of rupees that you'll never pay back, but family's family.

anyho, I digress. Mark's english was flawless but I loved when I said "thank you so much" twice, he responded with "you're welcome so much."

I loved that!

and one final note about that other Rajeesh, who showed up just as we were leaving Varanasi and said "I waited for your call and you did not call me."

I replied "And you know why Raj, because of what you wrote on your note and I told you, I have a boyfriend."

"This is how we say it here, we say I love you to our friends, we say 'I love you' this is how it is here"

(technically his note said I LIKE YOU, so the commitment ante was upped without me even doing anything, but I wasn't feeling like arguing with the guy, or saying "Really, Raj, why'd you douse yourself in that awful cologne then when you needed to show me the way alone back to where Rich was?" or "why did you ask Rich if I asked about you the next day?" or "why did you turn into a slimeball when you shook my hand and wouldn't let go?" because, we were on our way out and why make enemies when we can all stay friends? With friends like those...)

So I said "Ah, well, I misunderstood then."

And he kept on "Yes, this is how we say it here, we say I love you to our friends. We say it all the time. We say it, it doesn't mean something like you think. This is how it's done here "

So I said again "Yes, I get it, I misunderstood, my fault. It's a shame, really, that I didn't understand you."

So my friends, my dears, there you have it. I love you all, and I'm missing you each and all, very much.

Yes, I get it. That's how it's done, Raj, everywhere in the known world.

2 comments:

Ayelet said...

You mean you actually TELL people you aren't married??? in india??? Are you crazy? Even on my first time there at 22 they expected me to be married. So after a while I finally clued in and told everyone I was married to whoever man was near me at the moment, and then everybody was happy and left me alone. Might wanna try it... Just a suggestion. Love you too!

David Roche said...

Eufemia, I can't begin to tell you how much I love your blogs. And you, too. Can't wait until I see your show about India.
David Roche