Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Time Has Come...to Talk of Many Things

The blog stops here, I think.

You know me to be sentintimental. I'm a sucker for Bell telephone commercials, so it should come as no surprise I feel like crying. (It's just so inauspicious here, I'm sucking it up.) Over my blog! Well, it's been more than that.

If I can find places to post from, like during that 12 hour stop-over between arriving in Kolkatta by train at 10 a.m. and leaving Kolkata at midnight by plane, that 3 hour stop-over in Singapore and that 1 hour stop in Korea (Excuse me Captain but why are we bothering? Everyone just wants to go home now! Oh, refuel? Well, by all means! Can I just sit here and keep watching this movie because the airport lounge is nothing new, seen one seen 'em all) - I'll catch you up.

Otherwise, I'm going to try to stay hydrated and out of the heat - but I signed up for a tour tomorrow, and no doubt there will be things to say about that. The first thing I think I want to say is, how is it that after 5 months, many offers of boats on the Ganges, guided tours of forts and Camel safaris, I sign up for a tour the day I am leaving?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Eufemia.

These things happen.

By now we all realise my Bollywood dreams are dashed. No ability to speak Hindi plus two left feet and an inability to sing in high octave range spells doom for an actress. Sigh. Oh, the sad attempts at ha-ha's when one has a heavy heart.

One of the writers asked me last night: Has my country been good to you?

Yes, yes it has!

Now what would be good is if I learned how to be good to me.

That said, might I just add here that even though there were days of such breath-taking loneliness (I wouldn't have thought it possible - to feel so lonely in a country of one billion) - I knew I was never alone. Because you were all here with me. I don't think I would have made it this far without you.

How can I ever repay you all for keeping me in such good company? In such good spirits?

I'll buy some laddus.

I'll make some chai.

We can talk about it and you can tell me how.

And tell me everything I've missed, dearly missed, over tea.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And tell me everything I've missed, dearly missed, over tea."

In a café. In Montmartre. When you come and visit. After you've had a chance to revel in the comfort of being back in your own home for awhile, of course. :~)

Have a safe flight(s)!

Love,
Melinda

Eufemia said...

You are so on. cafe au lait. Late night. I get to coo at the bebe AND you, okay? I'm there.

Anonymous said...

You could come now and coo at my belly. I can feel things now! Other people can feel things now! Just ask Ian...it's pretty amazing. And weird. Come and speak to the entity in Italian in dulcet tones (or something)...maybe that way it'll be trilingual before it even comes out!