Saturday, April 26, 2008

Delhi the City, not Deli the Place I can Eat

Well I'm here, and I went on a bit of a spare no expense bender with taking a taxi to Hardwar from Rishikesh, and feeling mighty 'member of the mafia' in the backseat of that taxi when every other vehicle on the road had at least 9 people piled in it. But for $12 I got driven for 45 minutes straight to the train station. Where I got a porter for $3 (why haggle now? Besides you know I suck at it)

Here's something that weirds me out: I have had two Indians now refer to porters as coolies. I'm sorry, I thought that word was abolished when the British left and took their scones with them.

Okay, so now I'm in a ridiculously overcharged room, the reception guy, who bears a rather unfortunate resemblance to a marsupial, asked for a deposit upfront which I refused to give and it's getting late in the day but I've decided to hunt for another hotel.

Why the fish not?

So here I go, racing the Delhi sun and heat. Wish me luck.

!!!!!!!

As I was signing out a mousy thing ran past my foot! I am calm, I am calm. Wow, I forgot to tell you all that I was AAAAAAAAAArh okay - uhm, he's back- with 3 of his FRIENDS!. WHY God WHY do I wear flipflops here? Okay so I forgot to tell you that I was feeling pretty tough, since a lots happened that would normally make me jump outta my skin but I haven't heard myself scream for months, except for that incident last week where a monkey jumped towards me and Sarah on her building's balcony. When I say towards, I mean, right at us. We jumped out of our seats as he lunged to one side of us. And yes, he was baring his teeth. It took awhile for my heartbeat to return to normal - part of the biggest shock was hearing my voice scream like that, after not hearing it in many other instances where I could have easily hollered. (No, not the Drawstring-Cobra affair but thanks, I really needed humbing because like I have such a big eg-O! puh-leeze.) Anyways I just treated everyone in this internet to what it sounds like when I freak out and scream "WHAT THE FISH!" with my mouth shut. (Like this: MMMWHAAIZAT!)

Damn, it took me 20 minutes to find this place, now I have to scout out another place!

No comments: