Thursday, April 17, 2008

MaKe mE MenTal

A snippet of conversation from Ganga View Cafe, one that would make me mental anywhere:

Guy: Sanskrit is about the sound of the Universe, it's about the vibration, it's all about tapping into that sound.
Girl: That is so cool. That is SO cool.

Vanessa! How could you leave me and take your delightful Canadian sarcasm with you?

Okay, and just so youse all get the full picture, let me just say I'm sure I heard someone mentally retching while I was asking Alec about the Mercury aspect in my Astrological chart, and the effects of having Pluto, Jupiter and Uranus (uhm, you know how I get about this type of thing if I can't conjugate a verb without laughing) in my Sixth House, the house of health, as it were. Yes, I can dish it out but I can't stand the heat in kitchen. Kitchen? Frig! Parlour, whatever!

And here's my other favourite snippet from this morning, with the two Italians sitting next to me. They freaked out when they saw how Ganga View makes the milk espresso Italian style, with an Italian stovetop coffee-maker.
"Ma guarde un po!" Meaning Would you get a load of this!
"Next time we come we'll bring our own coffee. We can buy this element thing!"
"Of course! We just rent a bigger room, and set it up- "

"And pop, pah, pow, we make -"
" -our own spaghetti!"
" - exactly!"

I kept laughing through their conversation so they started looking over, and I thought I best just keep to myself because eavesdropping is rude, especially when you're caught. I had a moment where I thought I could say "How are you feeling about Berlusconi winning?" but that's not a conversation starter.

The absolute best was listening to them complain about how long it took to get a coffee: "These guys don't like to do anything fast!" You get my 'Ha ha moment'? An Italian is complaining he thinks an Indian doesn't like to do anything fast. Uhm, I know it's been a lifetime since I was in Italy and I was only a child, but as far as I could see, the only thing Italians liked to do fast was talk and drive.

I've become addicted to ending on a happy note, as much as possible for someone with a family history of depression and suicide. Tangent alert! Can you believe I once had a writing teacher tell me that choosing the happy ending for my play because 'I liked it' meant I was an irresponsible writer, since that's not real life? I'm sure you can.

My reply: "Well, I don't think so. I prefer it." And why not, if I'm in charge of that particular Universe, and I AM! I know, I know, what yoga-quasi-spiritual-pursuit is this? I haven't seen my preferences, my likes and dislikes diminish at all - I've just seen them on the big Bollywood screen. Oh, there's a heck of a lotta of dancing around. Maybe I just need to brush up on the moves and the whole sequence won't look, won't feel so - So what? Wrong? There it is again, inner struggled splattered all over the blog when I had to think about it all.

In the words of smarter people, I take my leave of you.

Take it away Ms. Hay:

"Often what we think of as the things "wrong" with us are only our expressions of our own individuality. We are meant to be different. When we can accept this, then there is no competition and no comparison - to try to be like another is to shrivel our soul. We have come to this planet to express who we are."

No comments: