Wednesday, April 23, 2008

By the Banks of the River Ganga I Sat Down and Wept


Eufemia, to the ceiling: Papa, I'm awake, wide awake again. It's the middle of the night, actually morning, and Rishikesh is closed, I mean I feel like all of India is closed. It's unbelievably quiet, for India.

Papa from inside my neural pathways: E perche piangi, chittalone, tesoro perche stai piangiare? (Why do you cry, little one? Dearest why are you crying?)

Eufemia: It's 3 a.m. and all I want to do is pick up the phone and call you when it's like this, so quiet. And when I'm like this, so restless. And because I can't call, all I can think about is the day I won't be able to call you at all.

Papa: That's life chittalone. Ma nin pensare questi cose mo. Ti da dormire. (But don't think of these things now. You need to sleep)

Eufemia: I'm trying.

Papa: I see. Tonight you drink two milk espresso after 8 o'clock, I don't think like this you try very good.

Eufemia: I had a craving. For the familiar, for your company.

Papa: And now again you no can sleep.

Eufemia: No. And I was, I am feeling a little scared. Delhi! By myself!

Papa: It's better you no tell me these things.

Eufemia: Don't worry, I won't.*

Blogger's note: Real Papa thinks I've been travelling with the same friend for these past 5 months, though he asks questions all the time, the same questions I would ask if I suspected my daughter was fudging the truth to keep me sane and happy. The same questions I would ask if I heard the same exhaustion, loneliness and fear in her voice he sometimes hears in mine. I do my best but some things slip through. Neural Pathways Papa, being a holographic, holo-deck kinda Dad, can do no other than represent the real McCoy.

Eufemia: Yesterday, I washed my face in the Ganga.

Papa: Is this why you no can sleep? No, I think it's the espressos.

Eufemia: Yes, you're right. It's the coffee.

Papa: I can hear all these thinking inside your head with me. You thinking too much. What quiet India? You hear? You here is make lots of noise for you.

Eufemia: Yes, I know.

And for the third time since midnight I get up and turn on the lights. The clock says it's now 3:15 in the morning. Six more hours before my favourite cafe opens. Six more hours before I can order a banana lassi. I do what I always do when I get stuck like this without a book because I have clearly taken leave of my senses: write it down, write it down, write it all down.

By the River Ganga I Sat Down and Wept
For all the things I did and did not do
for what I accomplished and what I did not
for the beggars I helped and those I ignored
for the friends I made and the ones I didn't
for the books I read and the ones I skipped
for the sun, the moon and the stars
for the sleepless nights and nights of supreme slumber
for the dreams I remembered and the ones that disappered
for the food I ate and the meals I missed
to say nothing of the ideas I barely digested
for the past that wasn't and the future that isn't
for struggling so hard to be here now
again and again
for the feelings of familiarity and the sense of contempt it breeds
for the feelings of alienation and the sense of longing it brings
for belonging nowhere and everywhere
at the same time
for being born in the First World
to parents from the Third World
and never fully realising before
these blessings were second to none

Papa: Okay, Dante, now go sleep.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you write this? I see that the title has been used in various variations of other things, but did you write this? It's fantastic.

Eufemia said...

yes, bunny, and thank you - I meant for the title to be for a cheerfull post last week, with a "...I sat down and read" ending. But this morning, at 3 in the morning I got desperate to figure out if that constant ache in my ribcage would go away. And the answer was no, but I finally fell asleep, thank God.

It's now almost 7 p.m. and it's one of those "looks like I should have written today off and stayed home with a book days" which one feels crazy having on the other side of the world, especially when you're on the side filled with palaces, forts, temples. There's lots of hills to climb. It appears I'm just not in a climb every mountain type of mood today. Maybe I'll do my laundry. That's always good for some laughs here, and I love my blue laundry bucket, it's gonna be hard to say goodbye to it...

love, much love

Ayelet said...

I was wondering the same thing. It's beautiful! You're a poet, my friend!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean, but those days always happen, no matter where you are. Besides, you've been there for a million months or something, so of course you're not going to be jumping up and down every single day to go see every temple this side of the...um...Ganga. (My Indian references are useless. Mostly because I don't have any.)

I was outside of the Coliseum in Rome (you know, as opposed to the Coliseum in Edmonton or something) when I bought some way overpriced chips, pulled out the book I had bought earlier, and sat there and read. I just needed that comfort! (By the way, I went back to the Coliseum the next day, when it wasn't so late, and nearly froze my tuchus off. So it all worked out. I think.)

Now I want chips. Again. I blame you! :~)

Eufemia said...

dhanyavad my dears

melinda- hmmm, can you really blame that craving on me now? nice try....