Friday, April 4, 2008

A Fish Out of the Desert

It's raining in Rishikesh. I think I can put away my sunglasses, it's pouring here. Sarah and I arrived yesterday, had some stress to find a room as the town is packed with everyone escaping the heat. The rain just makes me miss all the comforts of home. I think it's good that it's so different from Rajasthan or else I'd just be wondering why I wasn't in Pushkar, practicing yoga before sunrise.

I'm undecided about the phoolchatti ashram, the course starts next week. It was nice to sleep in today, feeling as I do. I'm not sure if I've picked up an unwanted souvenir in my intestinal tract.

I really took to that desert clime in a way that I'm still pondering if this ache in my ribcage is from this lifetime alone. I know, I think people are flaky when they talk that way but what else can I say? It felt like my home in a way I can't even begin to describe.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Rishikesh was one of my favourite stops on my trip in India. I don't what it was called, but my boyfriend at the time and I stayed at a defunked ashram/monastary place. Very austere but right on the Ganges. It was an amazing place. I read 'Autobiography of a Yogi' there. It felt oh so - karmically comfortable.

Hey miss you tons - and looking forward to catching up - as i am sure many people are when you get back.

Love Victoria
h

Eufemia said...

Me forward looking too! And tons miss you. (I'm trying to get the hang of Grammar in Hindi. So far, so fun.)

It is stunningly beautiful here, yet I appear to thrive in the desert. Who knew?

bahut prem