Friday, May 2, 2008

Om Shanti Om

After 53+ hours of traveling: train, plane and stop-overs, I'm home.

During those 53 hours I couldn't sleep, but thrice I shut my eyes and then my mouth fell open and I started drooling while sitting straight up in my seat. I believe I nabbed good 4 hours of rest that way. I wanted to stretch out at several stop-over points but was too worried about falling completely into the oblivion of dream-land and missing the connecting flights. ("I'm sorry, why is this called a connecting flight if I have to wait many hours for it? Where's the connection, exactly?")

It was a very sunny day, with some clouds. The Captain said it was 9 degrees outside. I looked down at my purple flip-flops. Then I looked around and saw everyone was better prepared for the weather than I was.

No matter, my friend God bless Jenn (That's her full Christian name, 'God bless Jenn') was there with Thrasso (surprise! - and fyi his full name is Om Namo Thrasso) and they hussled me home quick and fast. Jenn asked if I wanted to have a shower, and I was awake enough to realize it wasn't just a question but a matter of dire importance when I'd been wearing the same clothes for the last 3 days, and on the first day it had been 42 degrees - in the shade. On the second, 37.

And how do I repay such dear friends? I made them watch the 'Pain of Disco' sequence from Om Shanti Om. I can now sing this part in Hindi: My heart is full with the pain of disco, pain of disco, pain of disco. At least I think I can, and who is going to correct me?

Exactly.

Sigh.

Who?

Then I got dressed as best I could in a combination of clothes left behind and shoes from Caroline and went for some tea with said friends. Thrasso commented: You look like you fell down in Value Village. Even though it was 3 p.m Thursday, it was really 4 a.m. Friday India time, and I thought I was doing quite well, even if I couldn't finish a sentence without trailing off and wondering what words meant what, in English.

Then I saw Cathy, and I had the same speech impediment, and then, I slept, after 64 hours of travel and reading and movies and trying to catch a rest and some sleep, I fell asleep for 14 hours. I got up a few times but kept wandering in a daze back to sleep.

Now I'm up but I'm not really awake.

And my heart is full with the pain of disco.

Om Shanti All, Om Shanti Om.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're home safely, if not fully coherently! :~) And Thrasso's comment made me laugh. Now I'm missing people...
Take it easy on yourself as you get back into the swing of things, "sans" cows walking in the middle of the road but "avec" hippies!

Eufemia said...

whodda thunk I'd have missed the cow pies so much? The thing is, there were days when the streets were strewn with rose petals too, and that we definitely don't have enough of in Canada.
be well bunny