Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig

Apparently, according to Mother Goose it's "Home Again, home again, not dancing a jig" - all these years and no one corrected me - how embarrassing to misquote Mother Goose, I mean, who's going to trust my Shakespeare or Biblical quotes if I can't nail down nursery rhymes?

So here's what happened: I went to see Iron Man with my friend Jenn (That's God Bless Jenn) and there were scenes where the bad guys were speaking Hindi! Possibly it was supposed to be Urdu but not being a linguist or even remotely close to fluent in Hindi, I can't tell these two languages apart. I heard difficult, what are you doing, very and nothing: mushkil, kya kara, bahut, kuch nay. It was great to hear Hindi outside of my Bollywood fare. And I liked the movie too.

Then walking home, I jaywalked across Georgia and Granville - when there was noooooo traffic for like miles and miles, but since the light was red - everyone was standing back, waiting and being extremely polite. I looked at them and thought "Aren't they cold? Don't they want to get home as fast as I do?" As far as I can see, we live somewhere where the traffic slows down because of insurance, and premiums, and stuff like that.

Just in front of HBC, a little mouse ran out, crossed my path and ran into the concrete planter. It might have been a baby rat, once again, this, like languages, is not my area of expertise as it were. It was the size of a Purdy's chocolate hedgehog, and no joke, it was soooo cute!

Well, my last rodent activity was standing on the train platform in Delhi and praying that the rats that were as big as the small cat that was at The Lotus Hotel in Pushkar would leave me alone by running the other way. I was praying very hard, because I didn't want Delhi-folk to remember me as that shrieking woman on the platform.

Here's the thing: I followed this mouse, it stopped and looked at me, and I actually said "Oh my gosh - Hello!" I wanted to cup my hands and see if I could pick it up - AND then this thought occurred to me: "What the HELL going on?" The mouse, being the smart one, ran away, and I stood there wondering how such a tiny guy survives - I'm sure it's not easy to hide without a lot of trash around for cover, to dart around under. I felt strange and weird, in a way that I couldn't put my finger on it and then I realized; oh my good Lord, I'm worried about this baby mouse-rat surviving in downtown Vancouver.

I walked on towards Granville skytrain slowly, making sure I had my ticket in my hand as twice now I've accidentally been on a moving train before realizing I had not validated my ticket ("Ahhh, I'm sorry officer, I'm a little out of it, I just got back into town and while I'm late paying my taxes this year can I just say that if any of my taxpayer monies go towards paying for you to patrol skytrain for people who don't pay for their fare I think that's fishing ridiculous.")

And all I kept thinking was abi kya? Kya the hell waa?

Now what? What the hell happened?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eufemia, Eufemia, whither thou...um...est?...Eufemia?

Right, all that was just to say that I miss your blogging talents. Start another one if you have to; I don't care, I just want to read more of what you're writing! Demanding, I know. :~)