Saturday, May 3, 2008

Not Yet Famous Last Words

For those of you who know my fabulous roommate, this exchange may not surprise you, but for those who don't, Caroline is a creative soul with much insight, and bahut genius.

To set the scene, first full day back, first FULL POWER day back and everything was normal (whatever that means) and fine. At around 4 in the afternoon I was calculating it was really 5 a.m. for my body and that I should go to bed, that it might help me stop walking into the walls. I decided to get into the bath instead. I flipped through a magazine and at some point burst into tears. Then I crawled over to bed, and then, Thank God Caroline (her full Christian name. I know! I thought it was weird that her parents gave her a Christian name too, especially when she's Jewish) came home.

So I got up and followed her into the living room because now I don't have to sit by myself with these thoughts any more. I mean mostly. I mean, now, or then, yesterday, she was there and I was extremely grateful.

This is my favourite excerpt our conversation (where I don't think I made much sense but just kept going on about feeling at a loss and clueless and confused and no idea what happens next and how I felt so alone in India and well, you've read it all before) :

Caroline: We're all creatures that are going to die-

Eufemia: That doesn't make me feel any better-

Caroline: But I think that that's a good thing

6 comments:

Caroline Liffmann said...

My heart is full with the pain of disco. Pain of disco. Pain of disco.

Eufemia said...

Dilne Mera de dard de disco. Dard de disco. Dard de disco.

aur tumse mohopat.

Ayelet said...

Last words??? What do you mean? No more blog?

Eufemia said...

Well, there's no need to blog, now I'm back - people can just reach me on the phone...

I mean, does anyone want to hear how the folks at Turks thought I was an arsehole because I ordered a cappucino, milk & coffee separate so I wouldn't be paying for espresso + steamed milk (at those prices are you kidding me??)just so I could have a milk espresso?

Or how I wigged out at the cost of sushi in downtown Vancouver and said "I'm sorry, HOW MUCH is the AVOCADO ROLL?" and then canceled my order, with Fiona looking on as I went into shock.

Or who wants to hear how Canada Post scammed me yesterday? I nearly went back to say "You annoying ass, I just dealt with India Post and they never lied to me or made me pay parcel rate for a package for my mom for mother's day that at 350 grams could have gone regular rate. For Mother's Day! Do you even deliver Santa's mail or do you bastards build a bonfire with those heart-felt missives from children?"

In fact, I'm not sure how this happened but a package I sent home from Rishikesh (7 days before leaving India) has arrived. The package I sent from a bookstore in Bodh Gaya in Janaury, has not arrived. 10 days for Post office, 4 months for the no-show from the bookstore.

The end of my story is I will not trust bookstores over post offices ever again. in India.

Ayelet said...

Well... Hmmm, yeah. We do want to hear that.

Anonymous said...

You lie! Some of us don't have your phone number! Some of us have a feeling we're not even picturing the right place anymore--if you have a roommate, you must have moved since, um, well...at least two and a half years ago? You give me your phone number, tell me when a good time to phone is, and I'll work out the time difference. But you still have to blog. Because I love reading it. So...well, I guess I'm not giving you a choice. Just do what I say, okay? I need to practice telling people what to do and making it sound good before September. :~)