Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side of the Desert

Oh my god I'm sick!
I caught a cold!
It's 35 degrees Celsius outside and I caught a cold!

It started with sneezing while talking to Ayelet on the phone last night. I caught hers, can you believe it?

Yesterday I was out of the Yoga loop so my body could recover, today, same same no different. And at 2 o'clock this morning, when I couldn't breathe out of either nostril, (which made sleeping impossible) I thought I had a cobra in my room.

Seriously, that was harrowing. And I would have laughed, except it wasn't funny. But afterwards I was mildly amused, because that's actually a famous story here in India: "the man who mistakes a rope for a cobra and stays awake all night, terrified, finally falling asleep to discover when morning dawns that his fear was nothing but a coiled rope."

It's quite a beautiful, powerful story, really.

In my case, it might have been the cold medicine combined with my exhaustion and almost despair at not having a good sleep in ages that contributed in making me think that the drawstring from my black pants was the tail end of a cobra. Yes, that's right, I said drawstring. Hey, a drawstring can be quite a terrifying sight by dim, flickering candlelight! Well, whatever. I could tell you the longer, humorous version, but no, forget you. Did I mention I'm sick?

I was trying to be stoic this morning but this was my thought as I lay in bed, sniffling and feeling crummy: "No, no, no! This is not fair, I can't get sick when everyone's leaving! No! Who will look after me?!

I'm sick!
I can't get chicken soup here!
Rehydration salts taste like orange flavoured cow dung!
Sigh.
My inner-commando is kicking in again:
"Let's go Private Fifi. You're delirious and dehydrated. Time to march back to the Lotus Hotel. Hut two, hut two, put some feeling and power into it Private, or this could take all day! Alright, then, crawl if you have too. You're a disgrace to the army Private, but I'll give you points for trying. Not. What I mean is, drop and give me 20 sun salutations."

2 comments:

Women (Barely) In Motion said...

They don't have chicken soup? I find that hard to believe! They have chickens and they have water, right? If you need some Oregano or Italian Seasoning, I can send it! :)
Hope you feel better.

Eufemia said...

Thanks bunny, I wish I was lying on your couch right now, sipping soup or eating ice cream to soothe my throat!

Pushkar is very strict about being a meat-free zone. And I have no energy to take the bus to Ajmer and ask for Chicken-whatever-the-chef-recommends.
love, muchos love,